Wednesday, April 20, 2011

D60 vs. D600 pictures.

(Before more people misread this entry: None of these "tests" intent to disrespect the PHOTOGRAPHER. All leveled criticism is against the camera and/or the lens!! Please keep that in mind when reading.)

Last night before I went to bed I had an idea about how to check more from the two cams: Flickr!
Some people tag their pictures with the camera + lens they used so I searched for D60 & D600! Have to say it was enlightening. At least at first.

D600:

Photostream from Richieempire
The first stream I came across. According to the Tags, señor Richie uses the Canon EOS D600 Kit with EF-S 18-55mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS II and probably spent 849,00€.
Because we all see the same stream I guess we can agree on that the lenses aren't bad, but when it's about landscape they seem useless. Maybe except this one. I really like the picture.
For the rest: We notice the bad light intensity, but actually that is what the cam is praised for. On the other hand we have to consider that we only have 55mm at maximum with these lenses, what is almost the same as the human eye. So when we look at this picture - would we see more with our naked eyes? No, I don't think so.
In this stream we have a cool opportunity to compare the cam:
Black & White I vs. Black & White II.
One is outside, landscape, sunlight, daylight (maybe moving object) - the other one inside, one lightsource, non-moving object.
My conclusion: The standard lens aren't bad for ~110€ as long as you use them indoor. For outdoor use they're IMHO useless.
Addition: I don't know what other settings have been made. Keyword: ISO.


Photostream from Johnny Ostberg
The tags say: Canon EOS D600 with 17-55mm 2,8 lens. Remember? According to profis these are THE lens.
First picture already proves them right! Guess this picture compared to the other outdoor pictures from Richie tells us alot about how important the light intensity value is.
Another picture taken with the ultimate lenses. Even though we still only have a 55mm maximum the quality of these lenses is undeniable.
Take a look at this beautiful picture. I know it's not the 600D but the same lens and the 450D so the same line! Amazing.
PS Generally have I found here a very very talented photographer, so check his other stuff & add him! :) (At least to your bookmarks if you don't use Flickr!)
Here as well: No information about other settings.
When I choose this "set" with the Tamron lens: 1115,90€


Photostream from меемz ρнотоgяаρну
Canon EOS D600
I don't really know about the lens. There's one picture tagged with 50mm but it's the lens you can see on the picture. Here's another picture of the lens. It's captioned with a heart, so I guess the photographer likes these. I checked Amazon and they're 111,40€. Problem here: non IS, but several photographer seem to use it so I bookmarked it. I mean, look at the light intensity value: 1,8!!
I send this person a mail on Flickr and hope he or she will reply soon and tell me what lenses are used!



Okay, enough about the 600D for now. Here comes the 60D.

D60:

Photostream of Nux Pix
Canon EOS D60 with EF-S 18-135mm IS
At night with one light source. Looks beautiful to me.
Daylight, very sunny. I, personally, don't like the picture. It's a bit blinding if you ask me. Background details are hard to see. This picture has no lens tag, so I can't tell what lens exactly are used here but I guess the same as in all others.
Another daylight shot. Grey day with some extra settings as we can see. Focus is the white whateveritis and the rest is blurry. Doesn't really convince me. What about you? Again no lens-tag.
Very chaotic environment. I'm muchly surprised. I know he says it's hand-held but isn't a camera always hand-held?! Additionally the lens are IS so how can that happen? At first I thought it's maybe on purpose but it actually doesn't look like that. (I feel so mean judging this poor man that just wants to take some pictures :( But I'm searching for a cam, so I have to!) I have to say this picture tells me a lot about the lens because we have so many things. Very colorful, many light sources etc pp.
Another chaotic one. Very nice for checking out the lens. Look at the written pieces of paper and the light in the background. That reminds me alot of my phone cam. You know why that's bothering me? Because the 500D, my first choice half a year ago, advertises with the light intensity especially when it's about faint light and now check the picture again. Of course we don't have faint light with all the lamps but isn't that the reason why the picture actually should be AWESOME? I'm irritated. But as I said - these are the other standard lens you can buy. Not very popular afaik.
A good example for moving objects. Actually the market was also a good example for that - but animals are always a bit different to photograph. Happy with this but unhappy with this.
EF 100mm f/2,8 lens. I like this picture. It's a nice contrast with the white snow and the red berries, but I don't think the cam 'embraced' it completely. Can be seen when you look at the picture in the biggest size. But maybe the ISO is too high, I don't know. Or maybe I have looked at too many pictures today.
I don't only want to say negative things, so here's a very very beautiful shot with the 18-135mm standard lens. The sunrays are so beautiful here and the angle is perfectly chosen. This on the contrary doesn't please me.
I dislike the scene as well as the picture itself. Here we have 55-250mm lens. Prove me wrong but aren't these lenses for far away objects? So why is this picture like it is? Is the photographer to blame?
Okay, enough of this stream although we here have a lot of lenses to see.


Photostream of bishop_482
Canon EOS D60
I don't know about the lens that are used here but maybe someone can recognize them here? Haha! ;)
Because laziness is setting in (yeah, I'm surprised too it took so long!) I will not post another bunch of pictures now and just leave you here with the stream - that I btw dislike in regard of the camera. Especially this one disappoints me much. Remember the thing with the faint light and so on? So what's this? But maybe wrong settings, I don't know. Here as well. Weird.


Photostream of ReeseFIVE
Canon EOS D60 with EF-S 18-55mm IS
LIKE! Faint light and look what the camera has made of it!
And now take a look at this picture! What a HUGE SURPRISE! Why? Check the lens! Can you believe that? I can't. How is that possible? The colors etc are amazing in this shot! With 110€ lens. Remember the others in my first stream? What a difference! I'm a bit open-mouthed. There are some more pictures with these lens you can check out in the stream. Really different compared to this.

__________________________________________________________________________________



Either the difference between the two cameras is higher than I thought or it's as always: The camera is only as good as the photographer.
Like I would buy a Lamborghini to drive to the supermarket.


My newest consideration is:
Canon EOS 600D body = 729,00€
+ Tamron SP AF 17-50mm 2,8 Di II VC = 386,90€
+ Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5-6,3 Di II VC LD ASL IF Macro = 379,00€
+ Canon EF 50mm/ 1,8 = 111,11€ (I know 30minutes earlier it was 40cent more!)
Total: 1606,01€

(Of course the Tamron are working with Canon.)

MAYBE the 18-270 will be replaced by Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5-6,3 Di II VC PZD (529,00€). It's simply a better version of the mentioned above I just have to figure out if it's worth the 150€.
But I'll do that another time!

2 Comments:

Richie Empire said...

Hi there,

I am the Flickr user richieempire whose photos you refer to above. I think I should point out a couple of things.

Firstly, regarding my "useless" landscape shots with their "bad light intensity". I've had the camera for maybe 2 months now. It's my first SLR camera, I am a beginner. My photos are on Flickr simply as a log of my progress, not as examples of technically brilliant photos.

And you make a lot of assumptions about the lens, especially as most of the photos dont have EXIF data. This is because most have had some post processing done and are not straight out of the camera. I'm not the sort of photographer who is after a technically perfect shot. I believe a photo should capture the feeling of the moment, hence why some of my photos may have overly harsh lighting intensity or seem underexposed.

I am really impressed with the 18-55mm as a kit/starter lens. It's fairly sharp with decent IS. Sure, it's not brilliant compared to the 17-55mm but that lens costs 6 times more.

Anyway, thanks for looking, enjoy your new camera :)

Johnny said...

Thank you for the kind words :) Feel free to check back on my flickr, uploaded a bunch of new pics.

/Johnny

Post a Comment