Friday, January 28, 2011

Curtain Up: Boyce Avenue

I wanted to do this for a long time and now it's finally here! We, or rather I, proudly present:


Boyce Avenue



It's always neck and neck with the old Evans Blue about which band actually is my favorite. I watched their career since 2008 with "Iris" being the first song/cover I've listened to & I can tell I was in love with Alejandros voice from the very first moment. "Iris" (originally by Goo Goo Dolls) is one of my all-time favorite songs and I barely heard a good/acceptable cover til then.
Of course I had to check all other songs as well and my love for them grew more and more. I have never come across a band with so much potential. And what I mean by that is, they are not only capable of playing FIVE instruments & beautiful voices, but are also amazing at songwriting & recreating stupid pop songs. I intentionally say recreating because some of their covers are more than just simply covers. We all know those artists that just reenact songs the way they are. Same chords, same lyrics, all the same. Just another artistname & voice. Mostly boring like hell.
Entirely different Boyce Avenue. But you can convince yourself later.
I first have to do the usual stuff.
Ok I won't. I would just copy from their homepage and/or wikipedia and you can read it there yourself. Links at the bottom as usual.

The hardest part about this blogentry comes now. First, I have to choose which songs I want to post here & second how I will do so. There are so many ways & they have so many songs. My playlist currently contains 96 tracks & of course I can't post them all. Or maybe I can. We'll see!
I really have no idea where to start now, so I will do what I once read somewhere:
When you don't know where to start, just start in the middle.
Enjoy!


Recreated Pop Songs:
I'm not a big fan of Popmusic, although I have to say that every now and then a catchy pop song can be awesome. And then you can't stop listening to it because it's catchy.. well. What I actually wanted to say is, that just because a song is performed by a (stupid) person on a cheap beat does not mean the lyrics are useless. And Boyce Avenue tell us why:

Only Girl (In the World) - Rihanna
Firework - Katy Perry
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
(This is so amazing, that I don't even know the original lyrics anymore and always sing this version when Katys is on telly.)
Just The Way You Are - Bruno Mars
(We can all agree on that the lyrics of this song are simply amazing, but srsly who really likes the original? It's so crappy imho.)
Dynamite - Taio Cruz


Own songs:
Because I'm from Germany & YouTube sadly knows that, I have this copyright problem for Official Videos. So if you want to see the videos for "Every Breath" & "Not Enough" you have to tube them yourself, I'm sorry.

Broken Angel (Live & Acoustic)
Every Breath (Live & Acoustic)
On My Way (Live & Acoustic)
Change Your Mind (Live & Acoustic)
Briane (Live & Acoustic)
Find Me (Live & Acoustic)
Tonight
Change Your Mind


Other covers:
They have tons of other covers besides those special ones I already listed and I picked a few to show you that even when they simply cover a song it can sound awesome and/or better too!

Airplanes - B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams
Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
(I'm a HUGE Tracy Chapman Fan and I'm really stoked by this!!)
Will You Be There - Michael Jackson
With Or Without You - U2
Circus / Just Dance - Britney Spears / Lady Gaga Medley
Drops Of Jupiter - Train
(Also a Train Fan and again really in love with this.)
Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
Say - John Mayer
Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band
You And Me - Lifehouse
(HUGEEE Lifehouse Fan! Great cover!!)
Wonderwall - Oasis
(Classic cover. I had to post it because it's an all-time fave song. I really believe it's one of those songs that everyone plays at least one time in their lives if they play guitar. ;) )
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
(As I already said - first song I listened to. Amazing cover. Really really love it.)


I know what you think now.
They are amazingly good & totally underrated & why the hell are Rihanna/Katy Perry/Lady Gaga so famous when Boyce Avenue can do their songs so much better? I don't know. If you ask me, we don't need any pop artist anymore because we have the Manzano brothers! But nobody ever asks me..
If I ruled the world...

Well, that's it sweethearts! If you want to hear all other stuff too you can go to their homepage and/or their YouTube Channel. (Links still below.)
I guess you realized, that the older covers are uhm.. of a lower quality than the new ones at The Fort Studios. But I can overlook that.
Oh & of course all their stuff is available at iTunes & Amazon.
Don't really know what else to say except that in Feb/Mar they're again on Tour in the US/CAN and you'd be a fool if you missed their show when they come visit your town! What I mean is GO THERE YOU IDIOT. And I'm already jealous. :(
I missed their shows here in Germany last year, but well, since all my friends listen to the shittiest music available, I wouldn't have seen a show either way.

Oh before I forget! Favorite songs!
Uhm I'll split it into..

Covers:
Teenage Dream / Will You Be There / Dynamite

Originals:
Broken Angel / Briane
(Both have very special & personal meanings to me.)
& Find Me


I hope you enjoyed this post. Took me just 3hrs ....
Love always, xo


Wikipedia
Homepage
YouTube-Channel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment